Thursday, 19 June 2014

Volunteering: An Introduction

I've recently finished my degree in Wildlife Conservation, it was stressful and occasionally infuriating, but I loved it. Every minute. Apart from the minutes where I wanted to go Hulk on certain individuals for making the experience - and my life - an unnecessary nightmare. But this isn't the place for that!
It was volunteering that made me go back to school as a 'mature student'. By school, I mean college and university. Which I never thought I'd ever do.

Regardless of if you're after a career change or just want to try something different, volunteering is an amazing thing to do. 

What's more valuable than time? 

What's more rewarding than knowing you're helping a cause that means so much to you? 

There are so many places that need volunteers, whatever cause is closest to your heart, I guarantee, volunteering will add something to your life and something crucial to your chosen organisation. 

The latest Dementia Friends ad is so lovely. Something as simple as speaking to someone has a profound effect - it helps them socially, allows them to air their worries, stresses and helps develop friendships.

I volunteer with my local RSPB group; I started in 2011, when they opened their new reserve (which is stunning, by the way!) and even though I could never help as much or as often as I wanted (due to uni and working) every time I could volunteer, it was always a warm welcome, carrying on as though I had never left. 
The staff and volunteers have always been amazing; you meet new people, share stories, work as a team - you are valued beyond belief. 
More than any paid employment can be - where you're just a number and are easily replaceable. 
In exchange, I've had some fantastic experiences; helping RSPB and Wirral Country Park rangers with a 'Tea at Hilbre' event (Hilbre is a stunning little island off the coast of the Wirral, with birds, seals and dolphins - dolphins aren't always guaranteed), venturing out with Mersey Ferries for some seabirding (that might be a word) and high tide at Parkgate (which is quite an event!). Sometimes I think I've got more back than what I've given! 

I first volunteered for a local AmDram society, helping on productions of Terry Pratchett's Wryd Sisters and Calamity Jane. It was awesome, at the time I was still interior designing and wanted to move into stage and set design (some long-forgotten pastlife, though occasionally getting the urge to redecorate). 

You don't have to volunteer for a charity, if that doesn't float your boat. You can volunteer for you local council run woodland rangers, at a school or hospital, amateur dramatics or football team. 

My bad?
The volunteering event that got me on the track to exploring nature and wildlife? 
A volunteer trip to Thailand - working with elephants. I did it as an 'experience' trip. I love elephants. Anyone who knows me, knows that. Always have. I blame Babar. 

It was incredible. Actually getting up close to an elephant was a life changer...I probably should have seen that coming.
But I'll waffle on about this and my other volunteer experiences another time; I will  also discuss voluntourism (volunteer-tourism) projects and the good and bad ones too - what you should look out for, really. 

This was just an introduction to volunteering; whether you volunteer abroad once, to help out a family or an organisation or you'd rather volunteer on a more regular basis locally, I promise you, you won't regret it! 
Volunteering has taken me to Thailand, Indonesia and Sri Lanka. 
My next volunteer project is with a family in France. I hope to be blogging about my experiences whilst I'm out there.


And, in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make 
(The End, The Beatles)



No comments:

Post a Comment