Sunday, 12 April 2015

Lion Ark Peru: Part 1.

I posted a while back about a wonderful film called Lion Ark, over on Whimsical
Unlike many animal documentaries, Lion Ark never made you feel guilty, or want to wallow in a pit of despair, unable to think of how we can resolve such an issue as captive wild animals performing humiliating circus tricks, to entertain a few kids in South America. Never. 

Lion Ark saw Animal Defenders International (ADI) rescue 25 lions - among many other species - in Bolivia, where they successfully got a ban on wild animals in circuses, and transporting them to their forever home in Colorado. 

After seeing Lion Ark and being truly moved by the incredible work done by this small British team and their overseas posts, I felt compelled to ask about voluntary work that I could do - be it research or data entry, so I could at least contribute what little I could, to an amazing organisation. 

The ADI team are amazing; 
just a quick look through their portfolio of work will show you how extraordinary they really are.

From watching this brilliant film in December, to emailing the team and a Skype chat later, I was invited to join the team working with the rescued lions and wildlife in Peru. 

Holy Smokes!! I had 5 weeks!! 

I must admit, my research project went slightly out the window for a short while; working with lions in Peru was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me and I couldn't pass it up. 
For the lions and wildlife, it's the next step in their journey - not that they're fully aware of the momentous task that lies ahead of the team! 

After a crazy day of work, presentations, packing and generally running round like a lunatic (trying to accomplish things whilst I did this, not literally just running around - I'm not that energetic!), I managed to drag myself out of bed - having slept a mere two hours - to make route to the airport. Despite a delay to fog, which seemed to have blanketed Europe, I boarded my 12 hour flight to Lima, from Amsterdam. 

I won't bore you with what 12 hours on a flight is like... well... grim, to be honest (particularly the bit where I fell briefly asleep, and the stewardess felt it unnecessary to wake me for food. Who needs to eat in a 12 hour period??!!).

One of my most favorite parts of travelling is when you first leave that air conditioned airport and breathe your first breath of that country. It can tell you everything. 
That wall of heat (I prefer hotter climes - why would I willingly travel to colder places than the UK??) that hits you, I sigh "I'm home!" - like a bloody good hug!! 



Grainy image of some very organised street lights going up a mountain, near the apartment





No comments:

Post a Comment